- Participating small producers’ organizations operate on the basis of democracy, transparency and respect for the environment.
- The costs of sustainable production should be covered, and producers should be recognized for their work that allows their families to live with dignity and that respects the environment
- Participating Buyers, Collective Trading Companies owned by Small Producers’ Organizations, Intermediaries and Maquila Companies make a serious commitment, with transparency, to small producers’ organizations, and to the principles and values of the Small Producers’ Symbol.
- Local economies are promoted, and efforts are made to generate added value for producers and their communities.
- For details on the criteria, the General Standard of the Small Producers’ Symbol may be consulted.
a. Originally, the Symbol was open to Small Producers’ Organizations (SPOs) in all the countries in Latin America and the Caribbean. It was later extended to Small Producers’ Organizations from Africa and Asia, including only developing countries.
b. It can be used by certified Organizations and registered Buyers, Collective Trading Companies owned by Small Producers’ Organizations, Intermediaries and Maquila Companies in the markets in approved countries:
- Several countries in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Developing countries in Africa and Asia
- European Community, Switzerland, Canada, the United States of America.
c. In the case of countries that have not been approved, Organizations (SPOs), Buyers (BUY), Collective Trading Companies owned by Small Producers´ Organizations (C-SPOs), Intermediaries (INT) and Maquila Companies (MAQ) may present a request for obtaining approval.
d. The Symbol may be applied to agricultural and beekeeping products and crafts. SPP Global approval must be requested for other products.
Esta entrada también está disponible en: Spanish